The function of digestive system is to break down complex molecules of food into simpler molecules that can be easily digested by your stomach and intestine. So take good care of your digestive health, otherwise you will suffer from digestive diseases and could have problems in digesting some essential nutrients that are required by your body.
For good digestive health you need to know some useful tips that helps maintain your overall health.
Ten tips for good digestive health are as follows:
1. You should prefer a high-fiber diet. Vegetables, whole grains, fruits and legumes are fiber rich diets and are very helpful in improving your digestive health. Consumption of high fiber diet prevents you from constipation, as it helps food to move along the whole digestive tract. It helps prevent many diseases such as hemorrhoids, diverticulosis and irritable bowel syndrome.
2. You should consume both soluble and insoluble fibers because both types of fiber are essential for our digestive health. Insoluble fiber are also called as roughage, they can’t be digested by our body. Their main function is to add bulk to the stools. Soluble fiber draws and absorbs water and can help prevent watery stools.
3. Limit and minimize the intake of foods that are high in fat. Fatty foods tend to make you more prone to constipation as it slows down the process of digestion. But on the other hand some fats are good for your health, so you need to pair some fatty foods with high-fiber foods to make the process of digestion easy and effective.
4. Proteins are very essential for our digestive health; you must take diet that is rich in proteins to make digestion comfortable and easy.
5. Probiotics should be necessarily incorporated in your diet. Don’t neglect them as they help in combating stress, antibiotics and effects of poor diet. Apart from this, probiotics are of great importance as they help break down lactose, helps in nutrient absorption, treat irritable bowel syndrome and strengthen your immune system.
6. Water should be necessary part of your diet. Drink plenty of water every day as it is good for your digestive health. Water helps in digestion of fats and soluble fiber, so these substances can pass through more easily.
7. Avoid smoking and excessive use of caffeine and coffee, as these substances can disrupts normal functioning of your digestive system, and you will be more prone to the risk of ulcers and heartburn.
8. Your digestive system can get into overdrive, by problems like stress and anxiety. Indulge yourself in some stress-reducing activities so you can get rid of them and your digestive system will works properly.
9. You should exercise regularly. Exercise keeps food moving in your digestive tract which is helpful in effective digestion.
10. Make a schedule for eating. Take breakfast, lunch and dinner according to the schedule. Don’t change the timings of your meals.